#muerbelsmillen #3D Take a virtual tour of the Muerbelsmill...
At a glance
Education and experience
- 1972 – Secondary school leaving diploma, Lycée Robert Schuman
- 1976 – Bachelor of Law, University of Grenoble
- 1977 – Postgraduate degree in European Integration, Centre Universitaire de Recherches Internationales et Européennes, Grenoble
- 1977 – Admitted to the Luxembourg Bar
- National and European levels
- Member of the Luxembourg Chamber of Deputies (June 1979 to October 1985, June 1989 to June 1990, 1994 to 1999, and 2009 to present)
- Member of the European Parliament (1985 to 1989, 1990 to 1994, and 2004 to 2009).
- Chairman of the Democratic Party (1994 to 2004)
- Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Foreign Affairs, and Minister of the Civil Service from 1999 to 2004
- Vice-Chairwoman of the Chamber of Deputies (2009 to 2013).
- Local level
- Mayor of the City of Luxembourg (1982 to 1999)
- Member of the municipal council of the City of Luxembourg (since 28 November 2005)
- Alderwoman for Culture (2008 to 2013)
- Mayor of the City of Luxembourg (since December 2013)
- Honorary doctorate from Miami University (Ohio), August 1988
- Grand Officer of the Order of Civil and Military Merit of Adolphe of Nassau
- Commander of the Legion of Honour
- among other honours
The mayor presides over the meetings of the municipal council and the college of the mayor and aldermen. She signs regulations and orders adopted by the municipal council and the college of the mayor and aldermen, as well as all publications, deeds and correspondence produced by the municipal authorities.
The mayor exercises executive power in building and construction matters. In this capacity, for example, the mayor issues building permits. The policing of shows falls within her remit, and she can even ban events that are likely to disrupt public order.
In the event of riots, attacks or serious threats to public order, or other unforeseen events, when the slightest delay could jeopardise residents' safety or result in damage to property, the mayor may call directly on law enforcement to intervene.
- coordination of departments
- general secretariat/archives
- civil registry
Internal and external communications
- Luxembourg City publications
- media relations
- planning, organising and coordinating activities undertaken by Luxembourg City's cultural institutions: municipal theatres, museums, library, Cinémathèque, Conservatoire, Photothèque
- socio-cultural events
- relations with the Government/ALAC
- relations with private cultural associations
- building and land-division permits
- development projects and building regulations, in collaboration with Alderman Serge Wilmes
- relations with law enforcement agencies and municipal workers
- safety officer of the college of aldermen
- international relations
- school commission
- relations with religious organisations
- Fondation Pescatore (nursing home)