The Luxembourg City Film Festival has started its hybrid edi...
Marguerite Lorang (1841–1922) was a pioneering midwife from Luxembourg. She studied at the Port-Royal maternity hospital and became a midwife in Luxembourg in 1862. She lived on Rue de la Congrégation and, from 1868, gave courses in midwifery and even took in students in as lodgers her home. The sole purpose of the Grand-Ducal decree of 14 September 1877 was to establish a midwifery and maternity school.
In 1882, there were 21 midwives in the City of Luxembourg. Lorang's marriage in 1872, to François Kellen, a postal clerk, prevented her from becoming a senior midwife at the maternity ward. Committed to her role throughout her entire life, Lorang helped found the Luxembourg Midwives Association (Association luxembourgeoise des sages-femmes) in 1919. Midwifery has been listed in the Intangible Cultural Heritage Inventory of Luxembourg since 29 July 2019.