Ahoy, matey! The City's model sailboats will return to the P...
What? When? Why?
As society becomes ever more multi-cultural, linguistic skills and cross-cultural knowledge are increasingly crucial factors in the integration of people from different backgrounds and cultures, and allow citizens to connect with one another. With this in mind, the City of Luxembourg offers annual Luxembourgish language and culture courses, grouped into four levels. Courses generally run from September to July, with classes twice a week for 1 hour 40 minutes.
At the end of the academic year, students who have attended at least 70% of classes receive a diploma from the City of Luxembourg. They also receive a certificate from the Ministry of Education, Children and Youth (Ministère de l'Éducation nationale, de l'Enfance et de la Jeunesse).
The courses are accredited by the Ministry of National Education, Children and Youth (Ministère de l'Education nationale, de l'Enfance et de la Jeunesse). They bear the quality label for adult courses and entitle attendees to training leave (specifically: linguistic leave).
For more information, please contact the Service Intégration et besoins spécifiques (Integration and Special Needs Department) on the following numbers:
- 4796-4148 and
- A1 Beginner: be able to introduce oneself, express a need; use greetings; use days, months, hours of the day, numbers; recognise simple everyday expressions; understand and answer simple questions.
- A2 Intermediate: be able to use the imperative, past tense, relative clauses; narrate simple events in the past; make comparisons; understand the topic of an everyday conversation; understand and answer more detailed questions; understand key information from the news (radio, TV).
- B1 Advanced: be able to use the passive voice, indirect speech; set out the pros and cons surrounding an issue and suggest alternative solutions; communicate using more sophisticated expressions, narrate the plot of a film/book and discuss one's reactions to it; understand more complex stories.
- B2 conversation: reach a certain fluency of speech; be able to express oneself fluently, correctly and effectively in everyday situations (doctor's appointment, administrative appointment); can participate actively in conversations between native speakers; can understand a lecture/presentation in a work or training context.
|Centre culturel Bonnevoie||2, rue des Ardennes L-1133 Luxembourg|
|Centre sociétaire Cents||167, rue de Trèves L-2630 Luxembourg|
|Centre culturel Gare||29, rue de Strasbourg L-1351 Luxembourg|
|Centre sociétaire Hollerich||36, rue Lavandier L-1924 Luxembourg|
Classes began on 16 September 2019.
|A1 Beginner (German speakers)||Monday||17:30–19:10||55 hours|
|Gare||A2.1 Intermediate||Tuesday and Thursday||8:30–10:10||55 hours|
|Bonnevoie||A2.2 Intermediate*||Monday and Wednesday||8:30–10:10||55 hours|
|Bonnevoie||A2 Intermediate*||Tuesday and Thursday||10:20–12:00||110 hours|
|Gare||A2.1 Intermediate*||Tuesday and Thursday||12:15–13:55||55 hours|
|Bonnevoie||A2 Intermediate*||Tuesday and Thursday||15:15–16:55||110 hours|
|Hollerich||A2 Intermediate (German speakers)||Wednesday||17:30–19:10||55 hours|
|Gare||A2.1 Intermediate*||Monday and Wednesday||19:30–21:10||55 hours|
|Bonnevoie||A2.2 Intermediate*||Tuesday and Thursday||19:30–21:10||55 hours|
|Bonnevoie||A2 Intermediate*||Monday and Wednesday||19:30–21:10||110 hours|
|Bonnevoie||B1 Advanced*||Tuesday and Thursday||8:30–10:10||110 hours|
|Gare||B1 Advanced||Tuesday and Thursday||10:20–12:00||110 hours|
|Bonnevoie||B1 Advanced||Tuesday and Thursday||15:15–16:55||110 hours|
|Bonnevoie||B1 Advanced*||Tuesday and Thursday||17:30–19:10||110 hours|
|Bonnevoie||B1.2 Advanced*||Monday and Wednesday||17:30–19:10||55 hours|
|Cents||B1.1 Advanced||Saturday||9:20–13:00||55 hours|
|Gare||B2 conversation*||Friday||12:15–13:55||55 hours|
|Hollerich||Conversation and reading in class||Monday and Wednesday||19:30–21:10||55 hours|
*only a few spots left.
Registration is now closed.
Fees are set at €50 for 55 hours of class and €100 for 110 hours.
The following people are eligible for a reduced fee of €10 per course upon presentation of the discount VOUCHER:
- job seekers who are registered with the National Employment Agency (Agence pour le développement de l'Emploi – ADEM) and assigned to a language course by their counsellor;
- recipients of the guaranteed minimum income (GMI);
- people recognised as being in need by the Luxembourg Reception and Integration Agency (Office luxembourgeois de l'accueil et de l'intégration – OLAI) or a social welfare office;
- applicants who have signed the Welcome and Integration Contract (Contrat d’accueil et d’intégration – CAI).
Free online Luxembourgish courses are offered by the QuattroPole network of cities and the University of Luxembourg.
A full list of high schools, organisations and municipalities that offer Luxembourgish courses is available on the website of the Ministry of National Education and Vocational Training.