Legal owner, publisher and host
This website – www.vdl.lu – and the content hereof are the property of the City of Luxembourg municipal administration (hereinafter referred to as "we", the "City" or the "City of Luxembourg"). It is published by the City's Service Communication et relations publiques (Communications and Public Relations Department) and hosted by its Service Technologies de l'information et de la communication (Information and Communications Technology Department).
The City also publishes on the internet:
- maps.vdl.lu, and
- the "cityapp – VDL" mobile app (hereinafter, "cityapp").
This legal notice applies to all the aforementioned websites and platforms, save for a few exceptions, which are set forth below.
In addition, the City maintains accounts on the following social networking services:
This legal notice applies to all the aforementioned websites and platforms, save for a few exceptions, which are set forth below.
Limitation of liability
All information, content and services on the City of Luxembourg's websites are provided for informational purposes only. While we make every effort to ensure that our content is accurate, up-to-date and complete, we cannot guarantee that this will always be the case.
The City of Luxembourg accepts no liability for the information disseminated through its websites, digital platforms or social media pages, and under no circumstances may the City be held liable for any direct or indirect damages or losses arising from their use or content. This also applies to any information that may be found to be false, incomplete or outdated, as well as to any omissions and/or coding errors.
The City of Luxembourg reserves the right to edit/update its websites, digital platforms and social media pages, and their online content (including this legal notice), without prior notice. Any amended version will supersede the previous version entirely.
We make every effort to maximise the availability of our websites and their content. However, the City may not be held liable in the event of failures or interruptions in internet connectivity, or the unavailability of its websites (even partial), including for maintenance reasons.
Our sites display information from external feeds, including:
- information from the Echo website for the City's calendar of events.
- base maps for areas outside the boundaries of Luxembourg City.
Our sites also include links to other sites. However, as we have no control over the content of those sites, we accept no liability for the information published on them.
In the specific case of the onsstad.vdl.lu website, users are advised that signed articles do not necessarily reflect the opinions or views of the City of Luxembourg or the editorial board.
vdl.lu is available in English, French and German, except for legal documents and job-vacancy announcements, for which French is the official language of publication. Only the French version is binding. We make every effort to publish all information simultaneously in these three languages. However, the City of Luxembourg may not be held liable if content is unavailable in English or German.
city.vdl.lu is available in English and French. Only the French version is binding. We make every effort to publish all information simultaneously in these two languages. However, the City of Luxembourg may not be held liable if content is unavailable in English.
onsstad.vdl.lu is available in French and German. Only the French version is binding. We make every effort to publish all information simultaneously in these two languages. However, the City of Luxembourg may not be held liable if content is unavailable in German.
maps.vdl.lu is currently available in French only.
The cityapp is available in English, French and German. Only the French version is binding. We make every effort to publish all information simultaneously in these three languages. However, the City of Luxembourg may not be held liable if content is unavailable in English or German.
Most of our posts on social media platforms are published in Luxembourgish, English and/or French. Whenever possible, we respond to questions, messages and comments in the language used to contact us.
This legal notice applies in particular to the following user actions: viewing our sites, joining our social media communities, commenting on our posts on social media, etc. Users are expected to have familiarised themselves with and consented to abide by the instructions and rules set forth in this legal notice.
We strongly encourage all our users to take protective measures against hacking. The City of Luxembourg accepts no liability for damages or losses suffered while or after browsing our digital platforms, or external sites accessed through links on our platforms.
Users of maps.vdl.lu acknowledge that they are aware that using geolocation services generates data streams and places heavy processing loads on data servers. As such, users should refrain from overusing this service and overburdening the system.
The City of Luxembourg supports and adheres to the principles and rules of "netiquette" (see https://www.netiquette.lu, available in English, French, German and Luxembourgish), developed jointly by BEE SECURE and the Press Council.
Any web user who joins our communities or comments on our social media posts is expected to have familiarised themselves with and consented to abide by said principles and rules.
The internet is not a lawless space.
When you comment on a post, you are responsible for that comment.
Accordingly, certain types of comments are unacceptable, such as:
- illegal content, including racist, discriminatory, sexist or pornographic content, or content which incites violence, hatred or harm;
- inappropriate content, such as offensive and personal attacks;
- spam, personal ads, advertising and other commercial content, or misleading information.
Comments and online discussions
If you wish to leave a comment, please ensure that:
- it is relevant to the topic at hand,
- you provide reasons in support of your opinion, and
- you express yourself clearly.
It is also important that discussion be respectful. Remember that there is a real person behind every username ("Think before you post").
- Be fair and objective, and remember that discussions on our pages are public.
- Respect other web users and their opinions.
- Never post comments in anger, in the heat of the moment.
Failure to adhere to instructions and rules
In the event of failure to comply with the instructions and rules set forth in this legal notice, we reserve the right
- to explicitly request that the perpetrators refrain from posting such comments;
- not to publish the content, or to hide or delete it;
- to block the person responsible from accessing our pages;
- to take any appropriate action, including legal action.
Copyright and reproduction of content
- All text documents – including their layout – appearing on the City of Luxembourg's websites, digital platforms or social media pages (with the exception of comments and online discussions among internet users) are covered by the City's user licence – which is a "CreativeCommons" licence (BY-SA 3.0 LU) – and are the City's property. Under the terms and conditions of this licence, content may be reused and disseminated;
- Content may be edited before it is redistributed (excerpted, reworded, etc.),
only under the following conditions:
- You must apply and cite the "Creative Commons" licence;
- You must credit the City of Luxembourg by citing the source (vdl.lu – City of Luxembourg website), with a link that redirects to the corresponding page;
- You undertake not to use it in a way that violates human dignity or respect for persons.
- For the "What's on" (calendar of events) section, vdl.lu and city.vdl.lu retrieve content from the Echo website. To find out more about the conditions governing the use of this content, please refer to the terms and conditions on the Echo website (https://www.echo.lu/assets/pdfs/terms-en.pdf).
- Ons stad grants users the right to reproduce all or any part of the content of its website by saving it on a computer either for the purpose of displaying it on a single-station screen, or for reproducing it as a single backup copy or a single hardcopy printout. This right is granted solely for personal, private and non-collective use; publishing the content on a network, or any full or partial dissemination or commercialisation of this content to third parties, in any form whatsoever, is strictly prohibited unless explicitly authorised by the publisher or author.
- city.vdl.lu: All rights reserved. Reproduction or translation, in whole or in part, without the publisher's prior written consent is strictly prohibited.
The City of Luxembourg does not authorise the reuse of non-text content.
This applies to photos, videos, sound files, animations, graphics, diagrams, etc. (this list is not exhaustive).
The use of this type of content for any purpose other than viewing on one of the City's servers or downloading for private viewing offline constitutes an infringement of copyright and may result in prosecution.
The only exception are the files in the "Images" section (link) in our Media Center on vdl.lu. You may save and use these images provided that you indicate their creator (©creator's name).
Links and incorporation of content
The City of Luxembourg authorises the use of surface links without its prior consent. Surface links point to the site's homepage or any other page in its entirety. However, the use of techniques for the purpose of incorporating all or part of the City's websites on another site (e.g., framing or inlining), while hiding (even partially) the exact source of the content, or which could mislead the user as to the source of the content, requires the City's prior written consent.
The maps.vdl.lu website uses base maps for areas outside the boundaries of Luxembourg City. These base maps are provided by Esri, DigitalGlobe, GeoEye, i-cubed, USDA FSA, USGS, AEX, Getmapping, Aerogrid, IGN, IGP, swisstopo, HERE, IntermapiPC, NRCAN, Esri Japan, METI, Esri China (Hong Kong), Esri (Thailand), MapmyIndia, Tomtom and the GIS user community. These maps are subject to the copyrights of their respective map services providers.
The reuse or reproduction of interactive maps sourced from maps.vdl.lu, geodata and data streams, in the form of printouts or digital images, requires the City's prior written consent.
- For the vdl.lu website, requests for prior written consent should be sent to email@example.com.
- For the maps.vdl.lu website, requests for prior written consent should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Protection of personal data
In accordance with the laws on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data, the City of Luxembourg reminds users that the data and information collected by its departments are processed for the purpose of performing the tasks falling within its remit, pursuant to the legal and regulatory provisions in force.
The City of Luxembourg uses "(Matomo" to measure audiences using the websites vdl.lu, city.vdl.lu, onsstad.vdl.lu, and maps.vdl.lu, as well as the cityapp.
Matomo automatically anonymises all collected data, and does not process any personal data.
The collected data are hosted on the City of Luxembourg's servers, and can only be viewed by the City's Service CRP(Communications and Public Relations Department) and Service TIC (ICT Department), and by providers tasked with developing the City's websites and apps.
(pursuant to the Law of 28 May 2019 on the accessibility of websites and mobile apps published by public-sector bodies [loi du 28 mai 2019 relative à l'accessibilité des sites internet et des applications mobiles des organismes du secteur public]
The vdl.lu website is partially compliant with Level AA of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1, with the following being non-compliant:
- Certain images – including those obtained from external sources, such as those used in our "What's on" calendar of events page – do not have an alternative description and therefore cannot be read correctly by screen readers.
- The website features interactive maps.
- Some forms feature an autocomplete function, or pop-up calendars.
- Certain PDF documents.
Where the cityapp is concerned, the aim is to achieve compliance with Level AA of WCAG 2.1. A more in-depth analysis is currently under way.
To report any instances of non-compliance, please send an email to email@example.com.
For further information, please visit the Digital Accessibility Portal.
The following logos and names are trademarks registered with the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO), and are the property of the City of Luxembourg:
- Ville de Luxembourg (logo, whether or not accompanied by the text "Ville de Luxembourg")
Use of our logos
If you wish to use our logos as part of a sponsorship agreement, or any other type of collaboration with the City of Luxembourg, the City's prior consent will be required.
To obtain the City's consent for that purpose, please send a written request to the College of Aldermen at the following address: Collège des bourgmestre et échevins
42, Place Guillaume II
Alternatively, you may send an email to the City's Service CRP (Communications and Public Relations Department) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This legal notice was last updated on 29 September 2020.