#citynews #outnow The March edition has information on this ...
The City is currently upgrading Place Guillaume II. These works are being done in collaboration with:
- VDL – Service Voirie (Roads Department): complete upgrade of the urban space in Place Guillaume II.
- VDL – Service Canalisation (Sewer Department): replacement of wastewater and rainwater drains for the needs of the Service Espace public, fêtes et marchés (Department of Public Spaces, Festivals and Markets).
- VDL – Service Eaux (Water Department): replacement of water mains for the needs of the Service Espace public, fêtes et marchés.
- VDL – Service Éclairage public (Public Lighting Department): replacement of public lighting on Place Guillaume II.
- VDL – Service TIC (ICT Department): installation of a fibre-optic network with Hotcity posts.
- Creos Luxembourg SA Électricité: replacement of electrical cables and connection to two private properties.
- Creos Luxembourg SA Gaz: replacement of gas mains for the needs of the Service Espace public, fêtes et marchés.
- Post Luxembourg: replacement and upgrade of utility grids.
Commencement of works: beginning of 2021
Planned completion: spring 2024
What is the current traffic situation?
For cars and pedestrians:
For this project, works will be carried out on Place Guillaume II only. For the entire duration of the works, vehicular traffic will still be able to access Rue du Fossé and the Knuedler car park. In the event of changes to vehicle access, appropriate signage will be put in place.
For businesses and deliveries:
The City of Luxembourg will ensure that access for deliveries to local merchants, and for the emergency services, can continue uninterrupted throughout the duration of the works.
The City of Luxembourg thanks local residents, businesses and road users for their understanding, and apologises for any inconvenience caused.
Progress to date
Place Guillaume: site information and redevelopment work for the week of 1-5 March 2021
Please click on the document below to view the main work zones and pedestrian walkways.
Caution: heavy equipment operates throughout the site.
For more information, feel free to get in touch with one of our contact people for this site.
What work has already been completed?
In January 2021, while the works to renovate the Knuedler car park were still ongoing, the contractor commenced preparations for the redevelopment of Place Guillaume II. The trees along with their tree pits have been removed, and some excavation work has been done. Currently, archaeological excavations are being carried out on the north side of Place Guillaume II. To ensure pedestrian safety, all walkways have been clearly marked.
Works currently underway:
- Utility works (Service Canalisation, Service Eaux, Creos Électricité, Service TIC, Service Éclairage public, Police, Post).
- Utility works (water, gas, electricity) for public-event and market requirements.
- Utility works in preparation for the installation of new public lighting.
What remains to be done?
Works scheduled for between January 2021 and April 2021:
- Removal of the existing surfacing and laying of new paving.
- Installation of two fountains.
- Installation of children's playground equipment.
- Installation of rising bollards to regulate access to the square.
- Planting of four new trees on Rue du Fossé.
- Replacement of urban furniture.
To make life easier for residents while these works are being carried out, the City of Luxembourg has implemented a series of measures, including the option to participate in meetings regarding the progress of the work. Residents affected by the works may participate in these meetings to obtain additional information about the project's progress and present any complaints they may have.
Weekly site meetings
In accordance with the public-health measures introduced due to the COVID-19 pandemic, only a limited number of people will be allowed to participate at a time in the site meeting. For more information, feel free to get in touch with one of our contact people for this site.
Contacts for this work site
VDL – Voirie