Requesting special authorisation to stay open late
Drinking establishments may request special authorisation to stay open past the usual opening hours for this type of establishment. Such authorisation is subject to a tax, which is due for each day on which the opening times are extended.
Set dates for late-night opening
To simplify the organisation of late-night opening events on certain recurring annual dates, the college of aldermen has decided that the opening times of drinking establishments may be extended until 3:00 during the following events or festivities:
- 18 and 19 February 2023 (Carnival weekend)
- 30 April 2023 (Eve of Labour Day)
- 20 May 2023 (ING Night Marathon Luxembourg)
- 22 June 2023 (Eve of National Day)
Late-night opening on these annually recurring set dates does not incur any taxes and does not require prior authorisation.
One-off late-night opening
Aside from the set dates for late-night opening, special authorisation can be requested to extend an establishment's opening times for one-off events. These applications are handled by the Bierger-Center and the Secrétariat général (General Secretariat) of the City of Luxembourg.
Regular late-night opening hours
Establishments may request authorisation to stay open late on a regular basis. Such authorisation may be requested for one or more days per week, or even every day of the week (categories A and B). These applications are handled by the same departments as those for one-off late-opening authorisation.
As of January 2023, direct debit for regular late-night opening will once again be accepted.
To exercise this option, you must print the below request form (even if you used direct debit in the past).
If you wish to use direct debit for late-night opening as of February, the completed original form must be sent by post to the City's Recette communale (3, rue du Laboratoire, L-1911 Luxembourg) by 10 January 2023. Our Recette communale (City Treasury) will be happy to answer any questions you may have about extended opening hours (contact: firstname.lastname@example.org; 4796-2928).
Procedure and application form
Applications may be submitted by:
- taking the duly completed form to the Bierger-Center in person (Monday–Friday, 8:00–17:00); or
- faxing the duly completed form to: 47 36 53; or
- sending the duly completed form via email to the Secrétariat général of the City of Luxembourg (email@example.com).
The Secrétariat général then informs the applicant about whether their request has been approved or rejected. If it has been approved, they may go to the Bierger-Center to pay the appropriate tax and pick up their permit.
Applications for late-night opening permits must be submitted:
- in the case of a one-off late-night opening event, at least five full working days before the planned event;
- in the case of regular late-night opening, two months before the first late-night opening event.