The Lëtzebuerg City Museum needs your help to create a recor...
Requesting an individual exemption
Individual exemptions from the regular opening times of drinking establishments may be granted on request. Such permits are subject to a fee, which is due for each day on which the opening times are extended.
Set dates for late-night opening hours in 2020
To simplify the organisation of late-night opening hours on certain recurring annual dates, the college of aldermen has decided that the opening times of drinking establishments may be extended until 3:00 during the following events or festivities:
- 22 and 23 February (Carnival weekend)
- 30 April (Eve of Labour Day)
- 23 May (Marathon)
- 22 June (Eve of National Day)
- 29 August (Eve of Fouersonndeg)
- 31 October (Halloween – Eve of 1 November)
- 31 December (New Year's Eve)
In certain neighbourhoods:
- Saturday before Kermesse
Late-night opening on these annually recurring set dates does not incur any taxes and does not require any prior permit applications.
Requests for one-off late-night opening authorisation
Aside from the set dates for late-night opening hours, special authorisation can be requested to extend an establishment's opening times. These applications are handled by the Bierger-Center and the Secrétariat général for the City.
Requests for recurring late-night opening hours
Establishments may request a permit to stay open late on a regular basis. Such permits may be valid for one or more days per week, or even every day of the week (categories A and B). These requests are subject to the same application requirements as requests for one-off late-opening authorisation.
Procedure and application form
Applications may be submitted by:
- taking the completed form to the Bierger-Center in person (Monday–Friday, 8:00–17:00); or
- faxing the completed form to: 47 36 53; or
- sending the completed form via email to the Secrétariat général of the City of Luxembourg (email@example.com).
The Secrétariat général shall informs the applicant about whether their request has been approved or rejected. If it has been approved, they may go to the Bierger-Center to pay the appropriate tax and pick up the permit.
Deadline for applications
Applications for permits for late-night opening hours must be submitted:
- at least five full working days before the planned date for the one-off late-night opening event,
- two months before the date of the first late-night opening event requested in the case of applications for recurring late-night opening hours.