The Cité Bibliothèque (City Library) is a relaxed, public reading place with the following roles:
- to promote reading and cultural development by providing its public with books and other documents which meet the demands of people of all ages, all reading levels, and all tastes
- to offer access to high-quality, varied documentation
- to disseminate contemporary literary works and help establish contact between readers and authors
- to encourage a taste for reading in young people and adults
- to oversee the conservation of cultural heritage
All the collections of the Cité Bibliothèque can be accessed free of charge and all documents may be consulted on site or borrowed (with the exception of dictionaries and encyclopaedias).