Ahoy, matey! The City's model sailboats will return to the P...
Requesting an individual exemption
Individual exemptions from the restrictions on the regular opening times of drinking establishments may be granted on request. Such permits are subject to a fee, which is due for each day on which the opening times are extended.
Late-night opening dates in 2019
To simplify the organisation of late-night opening hours on certain recurring annual dates, the college of aldermen has decided that the opening times of drinking establishments may be extended until 3:00 during the following events or festivities:
- 2 and 3 March (Carnival weekend)
- 30 April (Eve of Labour Day)
- 1 June (Marathon)
- 22 June (Eve of National Day)
- 31 August (Eve of Fouersonndeg)
- 31 October (Halloween – Eve of 1 November)
- 31 December (New Year's Eve)
For certain neighbourhoods:
- Saturday before Kermesse
Late-night opening on these annually recurring set dates does not incur any taxes and does not require any prior permit applications.
Permits for special late-night opening hours
Aside from the set dates for late-night opening hours, special authorisation can be requested to extend an establishment's opening times. These applications are handled by the Bierger-Center and the Secrétariat général (General Secretariat) of the City of Luxembourg.
They may be submitted by:
- taking the completed form to the Bierger-Center in person (Monday–Friday, 8:00–17:00); or
- faxing the completed form to: +352 47 36 53; or
- sending an email to Secrétariat général of the City of Luxembourg (email@example.com).
The Secrétariat général informs the applicant about whether their request has been approved or rejected. If it has been approved, they may go to the Bierger-Center to pay the appropriate tax and pick up the permit.
Applications for permits for late-night opening hours should be submitted:
- at least five working days before the planned date for the one-off late-night opening event,
- two months before the date of the first late-night opening requested in the case of applications for recurring late-night opening events.