Ahoy, matey! The City's model sailboats will return to the P...
The City is carrying out redevelopment work in its historic Old Town – specifically on Rue de la Boucherie, Rue Marché-aux-Herbes, Rue du Palais de Justice and Grand-Rue. These works are being done in cooperation with:
- VDL – Service Voirie (Roads Department): Redevelopment of the urban space over the entire site of the city centre.
- VDL – Service Eaux (Water Department): Replacement of water mains. Connection of houses to the new mains.
- VDL – Service Canalisation (Sewer Department): Replacement of the wastewater and rainwater drains, as well as of connections to houses.
- VDL – Service Eclairage public (Public Lighting Department): Replacement of public lighting.
- VDL – Service TIC (ICT Department): Installation of a fibre-optic network with Hotcity posts.
- Creos Luxembourg SA Électricité: Replacement of the electrical cables in the pavements and the connections to houses.
- Creos Luxembourg SA Gaz: Replacement of gas mains. Connection of houses to the new mains.
- Post Luxembourg: Replacement and enhancement of networks in the pavement and of the connections to houses.
Commencement of work: autumn 2018
Planned duration: 24 months
Planned completion: autumn 2020
What is the current traffic situation?
For vehicular traffic:
The affected streets will be closed off to traffic, one by one, as the project progresses. Rue du Curé and Rue de la Boucherie will be completely closed off to traffic during the work on sections 1 and 2.
Vehicular access to private properties will be maintained as long as physically possible. Pedestrian access and access for emergency services will be guaranteed throughout the duration of the works.
For businesses and deliveries:
The City will try to ensure access for deliveries to local businesses throughout the duration of the works.
For public transport users:
As construction progresses, the traffic constrictions will change.
Progress to date
The works have been under way since November 2018.
How long will the work take?
Planned completion: autumn 2020
What work has already been completed?
The gas and water mains and the dry utility networks have been laid, and the pavement has been resurfaced on the odd-numbered side of Rue du Curé.
In Rue de la Boucherie, the sewer pipes have been replaced, and some of work on the CREOS ELECTRICITE multi-cable electrical conduit has been completed. Some of the work for the water and gas mains and their connections has also been completed in Rue de la Boucherie.
What remains to be done?
Beginning in mid-May, the contractor will lay the gas and water mains on the even-numbered side of Rue du Curé. Archaeologists will then excavate, and then the dry utility networks will be laid. Finally, the new surfacing will be laid on the even-numbered side of Rue du Curé.
After work on the water mains, dry utility networks and gas mains is completed, the connections to the houses on the even-numbered side of Rue de la Boucherie will be replaced. Construction of the large CREOS ELECTRICITE manhole at the intersection of Rue de la Boucherie and Rue du Marché aux Herbes will also begin in mid-May.
Your home utility connections
- As part of the construction project, City representatives and private contractors will visit residents' homes to assess the condition of their existing connections.
- If you wish to have your existing connections replaced, please inform the City representatives during this on-site inspection.
If you experience any problems with your gas, water or communications networks, please call the numbers below, which are available 24/7:
- Service Eaux – Tel: 4796-2883
- Creos Électricité – Tel: 8002-9900
- Creos Gaz – Tel: 8007-3001
- Post Luxembourg – Tel: 8002-8004
- Eltrona – Tel: 499 466 888
To make life easier for residents while these works are being carried out, the City has implemented a series of measures, including the option to participate in site meetings. Residents affected by the works may participate in these meetings to obtain additional information about the project's progress and present any complaints they may have.
Weekly site meetings
Every Tuesday at 14:00
Contacts for this work site
VDL – Service Coordination des chantiers
VDL – Service Eaux
VDL – Service TIC
Michael Da Silva
VDL – Service Circulation
Josh Den Hollander
VDL – Service Eclairage public
VDL – Service Voirie
VDL – Service Canalisation
VDL – Construction mediators
Creos Luxembourg Gaz
Creos Luxembourg Electricité