#avoscotes #luxembourgcityOfficial visit to the "À vos côtés...
The City of Luxembourg is carrying out redevelopment work in its historic Old Town, more specifically on Rue de la Boucherie, Rue du Marché-aux-Herbes, Rue du Palais de Justice and Grand-Rue. These works are being done in collaboration with:
- VDL – Service Voirie (Roads Department): redevelopment of the urban space across the entire city centre.
- VDL – Service Eaux (Water Department): replacement of water mains. Connection of houses to the new mains.
- VDL – Service Canalisation (Sewer Department): replacement of the wastewater and rainwater drains, as well as of connections to houses.
- VDL – Service Éclairage public (Public Lighting Department): replacement of public lighting.
- VDL – Service TIC (ICT Department): installation of a fibre-optic network with Hotcity posts.
- Creos Luxembourg SA Électricité: replacement of electrical cables in the pavements, as well as of connections to houses.
- Creos Luxembourg SA Gaz: replacement of gas mains. Connection of houses to the new mains.
- Post Luxembourg: replacement and enhancement of networks in the pavements, as well as of connections to houses.
Commencement of work: autumn 2018
Planned duration: 36 months
Planned completion: summer 2021
What is the current traffic situation?
For vehicular traffic:
The affected streets will be closed off to traffic, one by one, as the project progresses. Grand-Rue, Rue du Palais de Justice, Rue du Curé, Rue de la Boucherie and Rue du Marché-aux-Herbes are completely closed to traffic.
Vehicular access to private properties will be maintained as long as physically possible. Pedestrian access and access for emergency services will be guaranteed throughout the duration of the works.
For businesses and deliveries:
The City of Luxembourg will try to ensure access for deliveries to local businesses throughout the duration of the works.
For public-transport users:
As work progresses, there will be changes to the flow of traffic in this area.
Progress to date
Now that it has complied with the contract provisions and requirements for public spaces and submitted the required proof and guarantees regarding the durability of the paving stones, the contractor will be installing the new granite paving between November 2020 and April 2021. Because paving must be laid at a controlled temperature, the work will be carried out based on weather conditions under temporary structures.
How long will the work take?
Planned completion: summer 2021
What work has already been completed?
Work on the sewers, water and gas mains, and dry utility networks has been completed on the entire work site.
The paving on Rue du Palais de Justice has also been completed.
What remains to be done?
Area(s) highlighted in orange: installation of paving slabs
Area(s) highlighted in yellow with orange lines: drying of paving slabs
Area highlighted in yellow: section completed
The timeline for laying the paving stones is as follows:
- Rue du Curé, on the even-numbered side of the street from no. 40 to the intersection with Rue du Marché-aux-Herbes
- Rue de la Boucherie, on the even-numbered side of the street between nos. 2 and 4
- Between 1, Grand-Rue and 2, rue du Marché-aux-Herbes
- Rue Marché-aux-Herbes, at the corner of no. 2
- Rue de la Boucherie, on the even-numbered side of the street between nos. 8 and 18
- Grand-Rue, on the odd-numbered side of the street from no. 5 to no. 1
- Rue du Marché-aux-Herbes, on the even numbered side of the street from no. 2 to no. 17
- Rue de la Boucherie, on the odd-numbered side of the street from no. 7 to no. 1
- Grand-Rue, on the odd-numbered side of the street from no. 7 to no. 9
- Grand-Rue, on the even-numbered side of the street from no. 4 to the intersection with Rue du Palais de Justice
- At the intersection of Rue du Curé and Rue du Marché-aux-Herbes in front of no. 17
- Rue de la Boucherie, on the odd-numbered side of the street from no. 3 to no. 9
- Grand-Rue, on the even-numbered side of the street from no. 8 to no. 6
- Rue du Marché-aux-Herbes, from no. 1 to no. 7
- Rue du Curé, from no. 13 to no. 15
Your home utility connections
- As part of the construction project, City representatives and private contractors will visit residents' homes to assess the condition of their existing connections.
- If you wish to have your existing connections replaced, please inform the City representatives during this on-site inspection.
If you experience any problems with your gas, water or communications networks, please call the numbers below, which are available 24/7:
- Service Eaux – Tel.: 4796-2883
- Creos Électricité – Tel.: 8002-9900
- Creos Gaz – Tel.: 8007-3001
- Post Luxembourg – Tel.: 8002-8004
- Eltrona – Tel.: 499 466 888
To make life easier for residents while these works are being carried out, the City of Luxembourg has implemented a series of measures, including the option to participate in meetings regarding the progress of the work. Residents affected by the works may participate in these meetings to obtain additional information about the project's progress and present any complaints they may have.
Weekly site meetings
Every Tuesday at 14:00
Contacts for this work site
VDL – Service Coordination des chantiers
VDL – Service Eaux
VDL – Service TIC
Michael Da Silva
VDL – Service Circulation (Traffic Department)
Josh Den Hollander
VDL – Service Éclairage public
VDL – Service Voirie
VDL – Service Canalisation
VDL – Construction mediators
Creos Luxembourg Gaz
Creos Luxembourg Electricité