#freetransport #luxembourgcityThe City offers free transpor...
Upgrade works in Merl, on Rue des Ligures, Rue de la Barrière, Rue de Virton and Rue de St Gengoul. These works are being done in collaboration with:
- VDL – Service Voirie (Roads Department): Redevelopment of the superstructure on these roads. Redevelopment of curbside parking. Installation of pedestrian crossings for people with reduced mobility.
- VDL – Service Eaux (Water Department): Replacement of the principal water mains and deteriorated connections to houses.
- VDL – Service Canalisation (Sewer Department): Installation of combined water pipelines and a wastewater collection system in the Rue de la Barrière / Rue des Ligures / Rue des Celtes sector. Reconstruction of the local sewer lines on Rue de St Gengoul and Rue de Virton. Installation of a rainwater line and wastewater line intended for special development plan zones located uphill of Rue de Merl.
- VDL – Service Éclairage public (Public Lighting Department): Replacement of cables for public lighting systems and street lamps.
- VDL – Service TIC (ICT Department – network and communications): Renewal and expansion of the fibre-optic network with Hotcity.
- Creos Luxembourg SA Électricité: Replacement of the low-voltage/medium-voltage grids, replacement of a number of connections to houses and installation of a backup conduit along the entire work site. Upgrade of the existing high-voltage grid.
- Creos S.A. Division Gaz: Replacement of the mains and a number of connections to houses. Upgrade of the existing high-pressure grid.
- Creos Luxembourg SA Gaz: Replacement of mains and certain connections to houses. Upgrade of the existing high-pressure grid.
- Post Luxembourg & Eltrona: Replacement of old cables with optical fibre and replacement of connections to houses.
Commencement of work: October 2019
Contractual deadline: 500 working days
End of work: spring 2022
What is the current traffic situation?
For vehicular traffic:
The affected sections will be closed off to traffic, one by one, as the project progresses. At all times, a 3.5-metre passage will remain open to motorists and the emergency services. Rue de Virton and Rue de la Barrière are currently open to vehicular traffic. During the next phase of the works, Rue de la Barrière will be closed to all traffic.
Vehicular access to private property will be maintained as long as physically possible. A diversion route for cyclists will be put in place by the Service Circulation (Traffic Department). Pedestrian access and access for emergency services will be guaranteed throughout the duration of the works.
For businesses and deliveries:
The City of Luxembourg will try to ensure access for deliveries to local businesses throughout the duration of the works.
For public transport users:
As of October 2019, bus line 15 will be rerouted according to the progress of the roadworks.
Progress to date
Work recommenced on 20 April 2020.
How long will the work take?
Planned completion: spring 2022
What work has already been completed?
Roadworks and the replacement of sewers and dry utility networks have been completed on Rue de St Gengoul. The contractor has also replaced the sewer lines, water and gas mains and dry utility networks on Rue de Virton.
What remains to be done?
New sewer lines are being installed on Rue de la Barrière. Afterwards, works for new water and gas mains, the dry utility networks and road superstructure will be performed.
Road superstructure work is also underway on Rue de Virton. At the same time, the contractor is replacing the utility networks on Rue des Ligures and Rue des Celtes.
Your home utility connections
- As part of the construction project, City representatives and private contractors will visit residents' homes to assess the condition of their existing connections.
- If you wish to have your existing connections replaced, please inform the City representatives during this on-site inspection.
If you experience any problems with your gas, water or communications networks, please call the numbers below, which are available 24/7:
- Service Eaux – Tel.: 4796-2883
- Creos Électricité – Tel.: 8002-9900
- Creos Gaz – Tel.: 8007-3001
- Post Luxembourg – Tel.: 8002-8004
- Eltrona – Tel.: 499 466 888
Most recently updated works schedule
Contacts for this work site
VDL – Service Coordination des chantiers (Work-Site Coordination Department)
VDL – Service Eaux
VDL – Service TIC
VDL – Service Éclairage public
VDL – Service Voirie
VDL – Service Canalisation (Sewer Department)
VDL – Construction mediators
Creos Luxembourg Gaz
Creos Luxembourg Électricité