Something for the kids ;-) This Saturday at the Cité Biblio...
Upgrade works in Merl, on Rue des Ligures, Rue de la Barrière, Rue de Virton and Rue de St. Gengoul. These works are being done in collaboration with:
- VDL – Service Voirie (Roads Department): Redevelopment of the superstructure on these roads. Redevelopment of curbside parking. Installation of pedestrian crossings for people with reduced mobility.
- VDL – Service Eaux (Water Department): Replacement of the principal water mains and deteriorated connections to houses.
- VDL – Service Canalisation (Sewer Department): Installation of combined water pipelines and a wastewater collection system in the Rue de la Barrière / Rue des Ligures / Rue des Celtes sector. Reconstruction of the local sewer lines on Rue de St. Gengoul and Rue de Virton. Installation of a rainwater line and wastewater line intended for special development plan zones located uphill of Rue de Merl.
- VDL – Service Eclairage public (Public Lighting Department): Replacement of cables for public lighting systems and street lamps.
- VDL – Service TIC (ICT Department – network and communications): Renewal and expansion of the fibre-optic network with Hotcity.
- Creos Luxembourg SA Électricité: Replacement of the low-voltage/medium-voltage grids, replacement of a number of connections to houses and installation of a backup conduit along the entire work site. Upgrade of the existing high-voltage grid.
- Creos S.A. Division Gaz: Replacement of the mains and a number of connections to houses. Upgrade of the existing high-pressure grid.
- Creos Luxembourg SA Gaz: Replacement of mains and certain home connections. Upgrade of the existing high-pressure grid.
- Post Luxembourg & Eltrona: Replacement of old cables with optical fibre and replacement of connections to houses.
Commencement of works: September 2019
Contractual deadline: 500 working days
End of work: winter 2021
What is the current traffic situation?
For vehicular traffic:
The affected sections will be closed off to traffic, one by one, as the project progresses. At all times, a 3.5-metre passage will remain open to motorists and the emergency services. During the first phase of the roadworks, Rue Virton and Rue des Ligures will be closed to traffic.
Vehicular access to private property will be maintained as long as physically possible. A diversion route for cyclists will be put in place by the Service Circulation. Pedestrian access and access for emergency services will be guaranteed throughout the duration of the works.
For businesses and deliveries:
The City of Luxembourg will try to ensure access for deliveries to local businesses throughout the duration of the works.
For public transport users:
As of October 2019, bus line 15 will be rerouted according to the progress of the road works.
Progress to date
Work will begin in September 2019.
How long will the work take?
Planned completion: summer 2021
What work has already been completed?
The external consulting agency is currently carrying out its on-site inspections before work can begin.
What remains to be done?
On Rue de Virton, the contractor will begin by installing temporary water and gas conduits before replacing the mains. Once this has been done, the contractor will begin working on the dry utility networks, preparing the site for needs of the Service Éclairage Public, Creos Électricité, the Service TIC and the Post. At the same time, the contractor will carry out surveying work on Rue des Ligures.
Your home utility connections
- As part of the construction project, City representatives and private contractors will visit residents' homes
- to assess the condition of their existing connections.
- If you wish to have your existing connections replaced, please inform the City representatives during this on-site inspection.
If you experience any problems with your gas, water or communications networks, please call the numbers below, which are available 24/7:
- Service Eaux – Tel: 4796-2883
- Creos Électricité – Tel: 8002-9900
- Creos Gaz – Tel: 8007-3001
- Post Luxembourg – Tel: 8002-8004
- Eltrona – Tel: 499 466 888
Most recently updated works schedule
Contacts for this work site
VDL – Service Coordination des chantiers
VDL – Service Eaux
VDL – Service Technologies de l'information et communication
VDL – Service Eclairage public
VDL – Service Voirie
VDL – Service Canalisation
VDL – Construction mediator
Creos Luxembourg Gaz
Creos Luxembourg Électricité