#muerbelsmillen #3D Take a virtual tour of the Muerbelsmill...
The City of Luxembourg will shortly carry out redevelopment works in the Gare and Hollerich districts on Rue de Hollerich between Rue Wenceslas 1er and Route d’Esch. These works are being done in collaboration with:
- VDL – Service Voirie (Roads Department): redevelopment of the roads and installation of guidance systems to help persons with reduced mobility.
- VDL – Service Eaux (Water Department): replacement of water mains on both sides. Connection of houses to the new mains.
- VDL – Service Canalisation (Sewer Department): replacement of wastewater and rainwater drains and of connections to houses on Rue de Hollerich.
- VDL – Service Éclairage public (Public Lighting Department): replacement of public lighting at pedestrian crossings.
- VDL – Service TIC (ICT Department – network and communications): replacement and expansion of the fibre-optic network.
- Creos Luxembourg SA Électricité: replacement of the electrical cables in the pavement as well as certain connections to houses. Construction of a multi-cable electrical conduit on Rue de Hollerich between Rue JB Merkels and Route d'Esch.
- Creos Luxembourg SA Gaz: replacement of low-pressure gas lines and connection of houses to the new lines. Replacement of the medium-pressure gas lines on the odd-numbered side of the street only.
- Post Luxembourg: replacement and enhancement of networks in the pavement and of the connections to houses.
- Eltrona SA: replacement and enhancement of networks in the pavement.
Commencement of work: 19 May 2018
Planned duration: 32 months
Planned completion: late 2020
What is the current traffic situation?
For vehicular traffic:
The affected sections will be closed off to traffic, one by one, as the project progresses. However, two 6.5-metre wide passages for cars will be guaranteed for traffic in both directions at all times. The bus lane has been eliminated on the odd-numbered side of Rue de Hollerich, and traffic is now two-way. The intersection of Rue de Holllerich and Rue de la Fonderie is currently closed.
Vehicular access to private property will be maintained as long as physically possible. Pedestrian access and access for emergency services will be guaranteed throughout the duration of the works.
For businesses and deliveries:
The City of Luxembourg will try to ensure access for deliveries to local businesses throughout the duration of the works. However, during some phases of construction, it will be difficult to manoeuvre large delivery trucks through the two vehicle passages. Before making deliveries, please contact the work site manager to ensure that you can make your deliveries safely.
For public transport users:
Due to the removal of the bus lane on the lower section of Rue Hollerich, delays may be experienced on AVL lines 1, 4, 27, and CN 1, as well as on RGTR bus lines.
As construction progresses, the traffic constrictions will change.
Progress to date
Below is all the information on the new schedule for the sewer, water, gas, dry utility network and road superstructure work executed by the contractor (Perrard) on Route d'Hollerich between Place JB Merkels and Route d'Esch.
How long will the work take?
Planned completion: end of 2020
What work has already been completed?
The roadworks on the section of Rue de Holllerich between Route d'Esch and Rue JB Merkels have been completed. The final resurfacing of this section of road is planned for the Easter holidays in 2020.
What remains to be done?
The roadworks on the middle section of Rue de Hollerich between Rue Fort Wedell and Rue de la Fonderie will be finished by the end of 2019.
The contractor Perrard is currently working on laying connections to the sewer pipes and installing a new medium-pressure gas line between Rue Fort Wedell and Rue de la Fonderie. This medium-pressure line will be connected to the existing lines in Rue Wenceslas, Rue Heintz and Rue de la Fonderie
The intersection of Rue de Hollerich and Rue de la Fonderie is currently closed to all traffic to enable the contractor Karp Kneip to install infrastructure.
Next year, Karp Kneip will work on the connections to the sewer pipes and install water and gas mains on the section between Rue de la Fonderie and Rue JB Merkels. It will then work on the dry utility lines in the pavements. At the same time, the firm Perrard will work on the gas and water lines on the section between Rue Wenceslas 1er and Rue de la Fonderie, as well as on the dry utility lines in the pavement of the odd-numbered side of the street in this area.
First section, Rue de Hollerich between Rue JB Merkels and Rue Wenceslas 1er
In this section, work will be carried out in several phases, beginning in May 2018 and ending in December 2020.
In the initial phases, construction will be limited to the even-numbered side of the street. The contractor will work on the sewer network first, and then carry out the construction of gas and water mains, as well as connections to houses. Then, the dry utility networks and their connections under the pavement will be replaced. After this, the even-numbered side of the street will be repaved, and work on this side will be complete. The contractor will then do the odd-numbered side of the street, beginning with the work on the water and gas mains, and then finishing with the dry utility networks and pavement superstructure.
Second section, Rue de Hollerich between Rue JB Merkels and Place Pierre et Paul
In this section, work will be done in several phases, beginning in October 2018 and ending in July 2020.
During Phase A, work will be carried out on the intersection of Rue JB Merkels and Rue de Hollerich. Next, the work on the sewer network will be done in the middle of Rue Hollerich, between Rue JB Berkels and Place Pierre et Paul. The contractor will then continue in front of the church on the even-numbered side, with the installation of Creos Électricité's multi-cable electrical conduit, the water and gas mains, as well as the dry utility networks. After these have been installed, this section will be repaved. The last phases of the project will involve installing the dry utility networks on the odd-numbered side of the street and repaving this section.
Your home utility connections
- As part of the construction project, City representatives and private contractors will visit residents' homes
- to assess the condition of their existing connections.
- If you wish to have your existing connections replaced, please inform the City representatives during this on-site inspection.
If you experience any problems with your gas, water or communications networks, please call the numbers below, which are available 24/7:
- Service Eaux – Tel: 4796-2883
- Creos Électricité – Tel: 8002-9900
- Creos Gaz – Tel: 8007-3001
- Post Luxembourg – Tel: 8002-8004
- Eltrona – Tel: 499 466 888
To make life easier for residents while these works are being carried out, the City of Luxembourg has implemented a series of measures, including the option to participate in meetings regarding the progress of the work. Residents affected by the works may participate in these meetings to obtain additional information about the project's progress and present any complaints they may have.
Weekly site meetings
Every Tuesday at 9:30 and every Thursday at 13:30, on site.
Contacts for this work site
VDL – Service Coordination des chantiers
VDL – Service Eaux
VDL – Service TIC
VDL – Service Circulation
Josh Den Hollander
VDL – Service Éclairage public
VDL – Service Voirie
VDL – Service Canalisation
VDL – Construction mediators
Creos Luxembourg Gaz
Creos Luxembourg Électricité
Bureau Technique (Technical Office)