Ahoy, matey! The City's model sailboats will return to the P...
The City is carrying out redevelopment work on Rue Demy Schlechter in Bonnevoie. These works are being done in cooperation with:
- VDL – Service Voirie (Roads Department): Redevelopment of Rue Demy Schlechter between Rue du Cimetière and Rue Nicola Martha. Installation of parking lanes, pedestrian crossings, tree planters and the bus stop.
- VDL – Service Eaux (Water Department): Complete replacement of the principal water mains and replacement of home utility connections that have deteriorated.
- Service Canalisation (Sewer Department): Construction of a water-retention basin for combined waste water to ensure satisfactory hydraulic conditions in the downstream portion of the network.
- VDL – Service Eclairage public (Public Lighting Department): Renewal and enhancement of the public lighting system, and replacement of street lamps. Installation of additional lighting at pedestrian crossings to increase pedestrian visibility.
- VDL – Service Circulation (Traffic Department): Installation of a new traffic signal next to the primary school and at the corner of Rue du Cimetière and Rue Demy Schlechter.
- VDL – Service TIC (ICT Department – network and communications): Renewal and expansion of the fibre-optic network with Hotcity.
- Creos Luxembourg SA Électricité: Replacement and enhancement of the low-voltage (220V) grid, which is insufficient by its current design, and the condition of which has deteriorated. Renewal of a number of home utility connections.
- Creos Luxembourg SA Gaz: Complete replacement of the principal gas main and replacement of home utility connections that have deteriorated.
- Post Luxembourg: Partial replacement of old cables with high-speed fibre-optics and replacement of certain home utility connections.
Commencement of work: July 2018
Planned duration: 380 working days
Planned completion: Spring 2020
What is the current traffic situation?
For vehicular traffic:
The sections affected by this work will be made into one-way thoroughfares as the project progresses. The work is currently focussed on the section located between Rue du Cimetière and Rue Edouard Grenier, and on the section located between Rue Edouard Grenier and Rue Pont Remy. Rue Demy Schlechter is currently open to one-way traffic between Rue du Cimetière and Rue du Pont Rémy. For the third section, beginning on 6 May 2019, Rue Demy Schlechter will be open to one-way traffic between Rue Medinger and Pont Rémy.
Vehicular access to private property will be maintained as long as physically possible. Pedestrian access and access for emergency services will be guaranteed throughout the duration of the works.
For businesses and deliveries:
The City will try to ensure access for deliveries to local businesses throughout the duration of the works.
For public transport users:
Bus stops will be moved gradually over the course of construction. The bus stop on Rue Demy Schlechter has been closed and replaced by the stop on Rue Pont Remy (lines affected: 5/6/74 and 94). Beginning 6 May 2019, buses will resume their normal routes and the Demy Schlechter stop will be open again.
As construction progresses, the traffic constrictions will change.
Progress to date
The schedule has been changed, and the contractor will now be carrying out the work simultaneously on two sections.
How long will the work take?
There are currently no indications that construction will overrun the expected schedule. Planned completion: early 2020
What work has already been completed?
The dry utility networks on sections 1 and 2 will be installed by the Easter holidays.
What remains to be done?
In early May, the contractor will begin laying the water and gas mains and the dry utility networks on section 3.
Your home utility connections
- As part of the construction project, City representatives and private contractors will visit residents' homes
- to assess the condition of their existing connections.
- If you wish to have your existing connections replaced, please inform the City representatives during this on-site inspection.
If you experience any problems with your gas, water or communications networks, please call the numbers below, which are available 24/7:
- Service Eaux – Tel: 4796-2883
- Creos Électricité – Tel: 8002-9900
- Creos Gaz – Tel: 8007-3001
- Post Luxembourg – Tel: 8002-8004
- Eltrona – Tel: 499 466 888
To make life easier for residents while these works are being carried out, the City has implemented a series of measures, including the option to participate in site meetings. Residents affected by the works may participate in these meetings to obtain additional information about the project's progress and present any complaints they may have.
Weekly site meetings
Every Thursday at 9: 00 at the site.
Contacts for this work site
VDL – Service Coordination des chantiers
VDL – Service Eaux
VDL – Service TIC
Patrick Antunes/Luis Marinho Carvalho
VDL – Service Circulation
VDL – Service Eclairage public
VDL – Service Voirie
VDL – Service Canalisation
VDL – Construction mediators
Creos Luxembourg Gaz
Creos Luxembourg Electricité
Bureau Technique (Technical Office)