The City of Luxembourg is currently carrying out upgrade works on Rue Pont-Rémy. These works are being done in cooperation with:
- VDL – Service Voirie (Roads Department): Redevelopment of the road superstructure on Rue Pont-Rémy (parking bays, tree pits and pedestrian crossing redevelopment).
- VDL – Service Canalisation (Sewer Department): Replacement of the combined wastewater drains between Rue Demy Schlechter and Rue Adolphe Omlor, as well as between Rue Xavier de Feller and Rue Demy Schlechter.
- VDL – Service Eaux (Water Department): Complete replacement of the principal water main and replacement of home utility connections that have deteriorated.
- VDL – Service Éclairage public (Public Lighting Department): Replacement and upgrade of the public lighting system, and replacement of street lamps. Installation of special lighting at pedestrian crossings to increase pedestrian visibility
- VDL – Service TIC (ICT Department – network and communications): Extension and upgrade of Luxembourg City's fibre-optic network. Extension of the HotCity network.
- VDL – Service Parcs (Parks Department): Tree planting
- Creos Luxembourg SA Électricité: Replacement and upgrade of the low-voltage (220V) grid, which is insufficient in its current design and generally in a state of deterioration. Replacement of home utility connections. Repairs to the public lighting and HotCity connections.
- Creos Luxembourg SA Gaz: Replacement of mains and certain connections to houses. Upgrade of the existing medium-pressure (MP) network.
- Post Luxembourg & Eltrona: Replacement of old cables with high-speed fibre-optic ones between Rue de Wiltz and Rue Jules Fischer, and replacement of home utility connections.
Commencement of works: June 2021
Expected duration of the works: 18 months
Planned completion: autumn 2022
What is the current traffic situation?
For vehicular traffic:
The affected sections will be closed off to traffic, one by one, as the project progresses. Rue Jules Fischer is one-way in the direction of Rue Demy Schlechter. Rue Pont-Rémy is currently closed to traffic between Rue Xavier de Feller and Rue Demy Schlechter.Pedestrian access and access for emergency services will be guaranteed throughout the duration of the works. Vehicular access to private property will be maintained as long as physically possible.
For businesses and deliveries:
The City of Luxembourg will try to ensure access for deliveries to local businesses throughout the duration of the works.
As construction progresses, there will be changes to the flow of traffic in this area.
Progress to date
For this project, collective leave will begin on 17 December 2021.
How long will the work take?
Planned completion: autumn 2022
What work has already been completed?
The work to install the temporary water mains has been completed, as has the work to install the pipelines in Rue Pont-Rémy on the section between Rue Demy Schlechter and Rue Xavier de Feller.
What remains to be done?
On the odd-numbered side of Rue Pont-Rémy, the work to install water and gas mains as well as the connections is currently underway on the section between Rue Demy Schlechter and Rue de Wiltz. Once this work is complete, work on the dry utility lines will begin. The contractor is also carrying out work on the sewers under Rue Pont-Rémy on the section between Rue Demy Schlechter and Rue Xavier de Feller.
Your home utility connections
- As part of the construction project, City representatives and private contractors will visit residents' homes to assess the condition of their existing connections. If you wish to have your existing connections replaced, please inform the City representatives during this on-site inspection.
If you have any problems with your gas, water or communications networks, please contact the services below, which are open 24/7:
- Service Eaux – Tel.: 4796-2883
- Creos Électricité – Tel.: 8002-9900
- Creos Gaz – Tel.: 8007-3001
- Post Luxembourg – Tel.: 8002-8004
- Eltrona – Tel.: 499 466 888
To make life easier for residents while these works are being carried out, the City of Luxembourg has implemented a series of measures, including the option to participate in meetings regarding the progress of the work. Residents affected by the works may participate in these meetings to obtain additional information about the project's progress and present any complaints they may have.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, these meetings may only include a limited number of participants and will take place only if all other avenues for resolving a situation have been exhausted.
Nevertheless, such meetings may be organised if needed. Alternatively, a site meeting with the City of Luxembourg works coordinator and other project partners can be organised upon request. Please get in touch with us if you wish to meet with our project supervisors.
Weekly site meetings
Every Wednesday at 10:30 at the site.
An information session for local residents was held on 6 May 2021. The digital presentation shared at this session is available below.
Contacts for this work site
VDL – Service Coordination des chantiers (SERCO)
VDL – Construction mediators