Merl was a village with its own chapel in the Middle Ages, and was part of the Hollerich parish. Until the early modern period, the land where Merl now stands was owned by the Benedictine abbey of Munster, and consequently had little to do with Luxembourg City.
After all the local religious institutions were suppressed at the end of the 18th century, Merl became an independent municipality with its own parish. Merl's church grew to its current size through successive transformations and extensions between the 18th and 20th centuries.
In 1815, Merl became part of the Hollerich municipality, which then merged with Luxembourg City in 1920. Since the 1920s, the area has undergone a series of intense construction projects, which continue to this day. Nowadays, Merl is a lively Luxembourg City neighbourhood, with its Geesseknäppchen school campus, conservatory, and park.