Skip to main content
menu

Advantages

The main advantages of this neighbourhood are

  • its recreational areas and green spaces along the Alzette; and
  • its proximity to major highways.

Geographic location

Hamm has a surface area of 407.62 hectares and is located at the eastern edge of the capital. It borders

  • Cents to the north;
  • Bonnevoie Sud to the south; and
  • Pulvermühl to the west.

Population

Number of residents

  • 1,495 as at 31/12/2018
  • Demographic weight: 1.25% of the population of Luxembourg City

Population growth

  • 2012: 1,304
  • 2013: 1,332
  • 2014: 1,370
  • 2015: 1,376
  • 2016: 1,445
  • 2017: 1,456
  • 2018: 1,495

Infrastructure for children

SCHOOL

Hamm school
President: Sheila Michels-Clesse
159, Rue de Hamm, L-1713 Luxembourg

Further information

Classes
Cycle 1 - pre-school: 1 
Cycle 1: 2
Cycles 2 - 4: 6

Objectives of the school development plan (PDS) of the Hamm school
 Objective: The school will seek to further its work in the area of language development by using new technologies and other approaches.

Sub-objective 1: The Hamm school will acquire the necessary IT equipment for each cycle and will gain experience in this area. (until July 2019)
Sub-objective 2: Through in-house professional development training, the Hamm school will acquire new skills so as to harmonise language development across all cycles. (until June 2019).


CHILDCARE CENTRE

157A, Rue de Hamm, L-1713 Luxembourg
Further information

 

Other infrastructure

Culture, sports and leisure

  • 4 playgrounds
  • 1 football field
  • 1 multi-sport field
  • 1 pétanque green
  • Schläifmillen (artists' residence)
  • Godchaux trail
  • Hans Sowa Stadium
  • Club House Kayak
  • 1 multi-use sports hall
  • 1 weight room

Transport

  • 19 bus stops
  • Bus lines serving the area: 15, 25, 29
  • 6 above-ground car parks
  • 8 parking spaces for people with reduced mobility

Other

  • Hospice de Hamm
  • American Military Cemetery
  • Luxembourg Crematorium
  • Hamm Industrial Park
  • Mac Adam Business Park
  • St. George’s International School

History

Hamm's origins can be traced back to the Saint Catherine Monastery founded in the 14th century, around which the village grew. Hamm used to belong to the municipality of Sandweiler. Its proximity to the Alzette lead to the construction of several mills.

In 1830, the Godchaux brothers founded a textile factory in Schleifmühle. Hamm's population grew along with the expansion of this factory which, at its peak, employed 800 people. In 1874, Hamm became its own municipality. Following its economic decline, Hamm was absorbed into Luxembourg City in 1920.