Skip to main content
menu

Advantages

The main advantages of this neighbourhood are

  • its proximity to major highways;
  • its proximity to Luxembourg Central Station;
  • its variety of shops in Cloche d’Or;
  • the immediate proximity of the future Ban de Gasperich; and
  • nearby recreational areas and green spaces thanks to the ponds and facilities in Kockelscheuer.

Geographic location

Gasperich has a surface area of 445.14 hectares and is located at the southern edge of the capital. It borders

  • Hollerich and the Gare district, to the north;
  • Bonnevoie-Sud to the east; and
  • Cessange to the west.

Population

Number of residents

  • 6,465 as at 31/12/2018
  • Demographic weight: 5.12% of the population of Luxembourg City

Population growth

  • 2012: 5,203
  • 2013: 5,247
  • 2014: 5,325
  • 2015: 5,623
  • 2016: 5,699
  • 2017: 5,959
  • 2018: 6,465

Infrastructure for children

SCHOOLS

Gasperich schools
15, 17 and 19 Rue Verdi, L-2664 Luxembourg
46, Rue de Gasperich, L-1617 Luxembourg
8, Rue Giachino Rossini, L-2451 Luxembourg

President: Bianca Brück

Further information

CHILDCARE CENTRES

15, Rue Giuseppe Verdi, L-2664 Luxembourg
60, Rue de Gasperich, L-1617 Luxembourg

Additional information

Other infrastructure

Culture, sports and leisure

  • Kockelscheuer: Minigolf, bowling green, ice skating rink, ponds
  • Gasperich Skatepark
  • 7 playgrounds
  • 2 pétanque greens
  • 2 multi-sport fields
  • Deportation memorial
  • Emile Bintner Stadium
  • Tennis Club Gasperich
  • 1 multi-use sports hall

Transport

  • 42 bus stops
  • Bus lines serving the area: 4, 18, 21, 23, 24, CN3
  • 5 vel'OH! stations
  • 14 above-ground car parks
  • 18 parking spaces for people with reduced mobility

Other

  • Haus vun der Natur
  • Déierenasyl Gasperich (animal shelter)
  • Camp site
  • CLAE

History

Gasperich, part of the former municipality of Hollerich, became a part of Luxembourg City when the surrounding municipalities merged with the capital in 1920. During the Middle Ages, Gasperich was made up of a single farm. By 1806, the number of residents had increased to 98.

In 1869, a brickyard was established in Gasperich. This site was then purchased in 1921 by a tar plant, which operated from 1925 to 1983. The first school was built in 1904, and the church was consecrated in 1933. The construction of affordable housing led the population to rapidly increase.

Local interest groups