Skip to main content
menu

Advantages

The main advantages of this neighbourhood are

  • its close proximity to Luxembourg Central Station and Ville Haute;
  • its excellent public transport connections; and
  • its nearby shops.

Geographic location

The Gare district has a surface area of 105.26 hectares and is located at the centre of the capital. It borders

  • Ville-Haute and the Grund to the north;
  • Bonnevoie-Nord/Verlorenkost and Bonnevoie-Sud to the east;
  • Gasperich to the south;
  • Hollerich to the west.

Population

Number of residents

  • 10,741 as at 31/12/2018
  • Demographic weight: 9.02% of the population of Luxembourg City

Population growth

  • 2012: 9,317
  • 2013: 9,539
  • 2014: 9,738
  • 2015: 9,930
  • 2016: 10,330
  • 2017: 10,487
  • 2018: 10,741

Infrastructure for children

SCHOOLS

Gare schools
17, Rue Michel Welter, L-2730 Luxembourg
92A, Rue Adolphe Fischer, L-1521 Luxembourg

20, Rue du Commerce, L-1351 Luxembourg
President: Raoul Meyer


Further information

Ecole privée Fieldgen (Fieldgen private school)

CHILDCARE CENTRES

Gare – Strasbourg
29A, Rue de Strasbourg, L-2561 Luxembourg

Gare – Fischer
92A, Rue Adolphe Fischer, L-1521 Luxembourg

Additional information

Other infrastructure

Culture, sports and leisure

  • Place des Martyrs
  • 6 playgrounds
  • 2 multi-sport fields
  • 1 community garden
  • den Atelier (54, Rue de Hollerich)
  • The International (48, Rue de Hollerich)
  • 1 cultural centre
  • 1 gymnastics hall
  • 1 multi-use sports hall
  • 1 training pool

Transport

  • 30 bus stops
  • Bus lines serving the area: 6, 7, 9, 11, 19, 22, 23, 27, 28, 29, 30, CN1, CN3
  • 9 vel'OH! stations
  • 5 above-ground car parks
  • 54 parking spaces for people with reduced mobility

Other

  • Luxembourg Central Station ​
  • Clinique Sainte Zithe
  • Seniorie Saint Jean de la Croix (retirement home)

History

Gare belonged to the former municipality of Hollerich, but merged with Luxembourg City in 1920 along with other surrounding municipalities. This area developed very quickly after being connected to the national railway system, and the first train station opened in 1859. Hotels, but also small and large businesses, set up shop close to the train station. Some big names included the champagne company E. Mercier & Co., and the cigarette manufacturer Heintz Van Landewyck.

When the Fortress of Luxembourg was dismantled in 1867, this opened up the area and enabled the urban development of the Bourbon plateau, in particular through the construction of Avenue de la Liberté. The viaduct was built in the 19th century, followed by the Pont Adolphe which opened in 1903, connecting the newly constructed neighbourhood to Luxembourg City. The main building of the present-day Luxembourg Central Station was completed in 1912.