Rollingergrund owes its development to the pottery factory founded in 1767 by the Boch brothers. Under the name Villeroy & Boch, the site continued its manufacturing activities until 2010.
The neighbourhood's main features are the Château de Septfontaines and the surrounding production plants. The seven springs found in the heart of this neighbourhood were, for decades, a source of revenue for the many washerwomen living here. Initially part of the municipality of Eich, Rollingergrund became an independent municipality under the Law of 8 May 1849. The creation of the separate parish of Septfontaines had preceded this development in 1843. In 1920, Rollingergrund became a part of Luxembourg City.