The most attractive features of this neighbourhood are:

  • its close proximity to Luxembourg Central Station and Ville Haute;
  • its excellent public transport connections; and
  • its nearby shops.


The Gare district is 105.26 hectares and is located at the centre of the capital. It borders:

  • Ville-Haute and the Grund to the north;
  • Bonnevoie-Nord/Verlorenkost and Bonnevoie-Sud to the east;
  • Gasperich to the south;
  • Hollerich to the west.


Number of residents

  • 11,895 as at 31/12/2022 
  • Demographic weight: 9.02% of Luxembourg City's population

Population growth

  • 2016: 10,330
  • 2017: 10,487
  • 2018: 10,741
  • 2019: 11,040
  • 2020: 11,100
  • 2021: 11,713

Infrastructure for children


Écoles de la Gare
17, rue Michel Welter, L-2730 Luxembourg
92A, rue Adolphe Fischer, L-1521 Luxembourg
20, rue du Commerce, L-1351 Luxembourg
Head: Raoul Pagliarini

More info

Ecole privée Fieldgen (Fieldgen private school)


Gare – Strasbourg
29A, rue de Strasbourg, L-2561 Luxembourg

Gare – Fischer
92A, rue Adolphe Fischer, L-1521 Luxembourg

More info

Other facilities

Culture, sports and leisure

  • Place des Martyrs
  • 6 playgrounds
  • 2 multi-use sports fields
  • 1 community garden
  • den Atelier (54, Rue de Hollerich)
  • The International (48, Rue de Hollerich)
  • 1 cultural centre
  • 1 gymnastics hall
  • 1 multi-use sports hall
  • 1 learner pool

Public transport

  • 30 bus stops
  • Bus lines serving the area: 6, 7, 9, 11, 19, 22, 23, 27, 28, 29, 30, CN1, CN3
  • 9 vel'OH! stations
  • 5 above-ground car parks
  • 54 parking spaces for people with reduced mobility


  • Luxembourg Central Station
  • Clinique Sainte Zithe
  • Seniorie Saint Jean de la Croix (retirement home)

Short history

Gare belonged to the former municipality of Hollerich, but merged with Luxembourg City in 1920 along with other surrounding municipalities. The neighbourhood underwent rapid development after it was connected to the national railway network and the first train station opened in 1859. Hotels, but also small and large businesses, set up shop close to the train station. Some big names included the champagne company E. Mercier & Co., and the cigarette manufacturer Heintz Van Landewyck.

When the Fortress of Luxembourg was dismantled in 1867, this opened up the area and enabled the urban development of the Bourbon plateau, in particular with the construction of Avenue de la Liberté. The viaduct was built in the 19th century, followed by the Pont Adolphe which opened in 1903, connecting the newly constructed neighbourhood to Luxembourg City. The main building of the present-day Luxembourg Central Station was completed in 1912.